[jcifs] jCIFS and NetApp with Data ONTAP dynamic home folders

Marianna.Dorokhina at ricoh-usa.com Marianna.Dorokhina at ricoh-usa.com
Wed Dec 3 09:43:44 MST 2014

Hello  Michael,
The user is trying to deposit a file to his home directory via GSNX
application (it is our scanning solution).
The GSNX application is using jCIFS API to retrieve client?s home
directory path from the NetApp (NetApp NAS appliances with ONTAP 7 mode
versions 8.1.2P4) server.
Configuration details of the customer environment:
The customer uses Data ONTAP home directory functionality to create users'
home directories on the CIFS Vserver and automatically offer each user a
dynamic share to their home directory without creating an individual CIFS
share for each user.
(FYI:
https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1196891/html/GUID-741EF656-6B92-4A28-BD98-5942AF22FDA9.html
)
The user?s home directory =\\svuent\fs\us\home_nas\autohome
The \\svuent\fs\us\home_nas\autohome only works if the smb request is
being executed with the user ID.  The actual DFS link is a number of
dynamic shares on each of the NAS appliances that host home directories in
the form of \\FILERNAME\cifs.homedir   .
The cifs.homedir share name doesn?t really exist but it?s dynamically
created if the username of the SMB request matches a directory name in one
of the home directories paths configured on the appliance.  This behavior
is executed over and over again when a user accesses the DFS link until a
share is presented (this is the multiple target referral portion of DFS).

GSNX is retrieving the home Directory path, but we see
"STATUS_BAD_NETWORK_NAME? in the network capture.
I wonder if jCIFS API can handle the above home folder model and return a
valid physical home directory path.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Best Regards,
Marianna Dorokhina

Solutions Development Center-Americas
19 Chapin Rd |P.O. Box 2008|Pine Brook, NJ 07058-2008
(Tel:973.882.58.60|0Fax:973.882.2236
:mailto:marianna.dorokhina at ricoh-usa.com