[jcifs] NTStatus 0xC000003E when fetching ACLs from EMC Isilon servers

Brett Johnson brett.michael.johnson at gmail.com
Fri May 24 13:24:19 MDT 2013

To be clear, this is not the problem reported in this thread:
https://lists.samba.org/archive/jcifs/2012-June/009956.html

I can logon to the server, list files, and read their contents.
However, when I attempt to fetch the ACLs, the call fails with
an NTStatus code of 0xC000003E.

We get this error fetching the Share ACL for a directory.
This just happens to be the first ACL we attempt to retrieve.
The SmbFile path is smb://share01/sp/Google-Test/

JCIFS itself doesn't know about this NT Status code
(it is not included in the jCIFS version of NtStatus.java).
However, looking at various other Microsoft documentation
on the web, I find that that status code could be produced
by two different errors:

ERRdata   (0x0017)  STATUS_DATA_ERROR (0xC000003E)   EIO      Data Error
ERRbadreq (0x0018)  STATUS_DATA_ERROR (0xC000003E)   ERANGE   Bad request structure length

At first, these appear to be hard errors at the drive/media level.
However, the hardware checks out OK and the error is returned
from multiple servers tested.  The attached packet capture shows:
"{Data Error} An error in reading or writing data occurred."

We are using jCIFS v 1.3.17 with last-access time patches
running in a Tomcat 7 web application on Windows.

The customer describes their system as:

Isilon OneFS version 6.5.5.14
19 nodes consisting of (7) x200 series and (12) NL108 nodes.
A client goes through a DNS round-robin to connect to any one of the 19 nodes.
Share permissions are Change for Authenticated users, however,
admins and your yy account have what is called “run-as-root”.
You are also Administrators and Backup Operators.

Attached is a network capture supplied by the customer.