[jcifs] Performance Issue with jcifs and NetApp

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Mon Jun 3 15:05:19 MDT 2013

Hi Uhr,

I'm also sending to the mailing list for posterity (I would CC but gmail is
slowly becoming an incomprehensible simplistic POS).

I have analyzed your capture.

It seems you are trying to use NetBIOS names and the lookups are failing
(unless you specify a WINS server as you have discovered). NetBIOS names
are the short one-label hostnames. Do not use NetBIOS names. NetBIOS is
virtually all but dead. Even when people use short one-label names they are
almost always still using DNS weather they realize it or not because the
host resolver is using the builtin domain suffix search feature. But JCIFS
does not have the capability to use a domain suffix search. If you use a
one-label name, JCIFS will try to do NetBIOS and thus you'll get failure.
So you should always use fully qualified DNS hostnames with JCIFS (and all
other applications). That might be inconvenient but anything less is simply
inaccurate and prone to failure. All real applications should use FQDNs.

You should not need to disable NTLMv2. If your NetApp server doesn't
support NTLMv2, you really should look into updating it because eventually
someone is going to disable NTLMv1.

So take out all of the properties and just try to use a fully qualified DNS
hostname in your SMB URL.

Note that your capture also had a bit of other junk in it. If you send me
another capture for some reason, it would be better if you could identify
the junk and filter out those ports.

Java Active Directory Integration
http://www.ioplex.com/