[jcifs] Unable to identify resons for SMB Exceptions

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 01:23:48 MDT 2013

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 2:40 AM, James <testing.iapps.3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>        I am James, i am using SMB jcifs library for one of my java
> application and all works fine but some time i found weird issues when i
> firing a request to remote machine(SMB server) and i don't understand the
> cause of an exception most of the cases so i have noted down some points
> below which get me confused.
>
> There is no any explanation of exception that is being raised by server on
> API docs, they just provides constants using NTStatus.
>
> # I want to know the cause/reason when these exception are being raised:
>
> 1. NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
>
> - As per my finding it says "A device attached to the system is not
> functioning."
>
> My Que: Is that means that requested device/machine(SMB server) have no
> support for smb or SMB is unable to request the server ?
>
> 2. NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS
>
> - As per my finding "There are currently no logon servers available to
> service the logon request."
>
> My Que: what is the reason behind this exception, is there any problem in
> remote machine like system is down/slow or it's internet connection's speed
> problem so that i can't connect to server.

Hi James,

Those errors are coming from the server. Meaning JCIFS successfully
connected to the server started to communicate with it and then the
server returned those NT_STATUS codes. So there's nothing JCIFS can do
about these errors.

The NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL could mean anything. It is just a generic
error that is probably emitted for 100 different reasons.

The NT_STATUS_NO_LOGON_SERVERS almost certainly means just what it
sounds like. The server tried to locate and connect to a domain
controller so that it can validate the client credentials but it
failed. It could have been a temporary network failure or server
misconfiguration or similar.

Java Active Directory Integration