[jcifs] a good reference for jcifs

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Mon Jul 8 08:38:27 MDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Krishna Choudhary <kkdevenda at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to develop an application using jcifs. My application is Network
> Scanner type in java. So I need some real good reference guides to learn how
> to make use of jcifs library. Hope you will provide me with useful links. I
> don't find the information provided in the documentation very convincing and
> it does not help me with my application specially the part how to scan PCs
> on the network and sort some on the basis of shared resources.
> thank you

Hi krishna,

Note that the list() operation with SMB URLs like smb:// or
smb://hostname/ use the NetBIOS browse service which is not used much
anymore and even when it was used, it was fairly unreliable. Meaning,
scanning networks for NetBIOS hosts is not a great idea. There are
other service discovery protocols in use now. Bonjour being the most
common. I'm not sure if MS uses it but Apple does.

Java Active Directory Integration