[jcifs] What versions of SMB does JCIFS support

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Mon Dec 23 16:09:58 MST 2013

jCIFS supports NT LAN Manager 0.12 (NT LM 0.12).

NT LM 0.12 is now called "SMB1", though the accuracy of that designation
could be debated.  NT LM 0.12 was introduced with Windows NT 3.51 and also
used in Windows 95.  All versions of Windows since that time have supported
(and do support) NT LM 0.12.

Windows/XP and Windows 2003 are the last versions of Windows still under
support that only support SMB1.  With Vista, Microsoft introduced SMB2.
Note that SMB2 is a completely different protocol.  Also note that SMB3.0 is
actually SMB2.2 and not a new protocol.

With Windows 2012r2 Microsoft introduced the ability to optionally disable
SMB1.  Other than that caveat, all supported versions of Windows still
support NT LM 0.12 (SMB1).

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org