[jcifs] Failed to negotiate with a suitable domain controller using jcifs 1.3.17

Zenub zenub.husain at bankofamerica.com
Sun Nov 25 20:51:02 MST 2012

Time to time we are getting following exception in our JVM and once we get this
exception it reoccur and we have to restart the JVM to resolve this issue.

[Servlet Error]-[action]: java.net.UnknownHostException: Failed to negotiate
with a suitable domain controller for amrs
	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.getChallengeForDomain(SmbSession.java:126)
	at jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.negotiate(NtlmHttpFilter.java:150)
	at jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.doFilter(NtlmHttpFilter.java:114)

We are using "jcifs-1.3.17.jar"

In web.xml
  <filter>
	<filter-name>NtlmHttpFilter</filter-name>
        <filter-class>jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter</filter-class>
      <init-param>
        <param-name>jcifs.smb.client.domain</param-name>
        <param-value>amrs</param-value>
      </init-param>
      <init-param>
        <param-name>jcifs.netbios.wins</param-name>
        <param-
value>prefdcs.amrs.win.ml.com,prefdcs.amrs.win.ml.com,prefdcs.amrs.win.ml.com,pr
efdcs.amrs.win.ml.com,prefdcs.amrs.win.ml.com</param-value>
	<!--Here same WINS server is repeated 5 times because it will resolve to
different IP each time -->
      </init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>jcifs.smb.client.soTimeout</param-name>
<param-value>864000000</param-value>
</init-param>

    </filter>