[jcifs] Issues connecting with DFS server

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 09:44:51 MST 2012

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 8:05 AM, Nikhil Sahay <nikhilsahay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear team,
>
> We recently migrated our AD services to windows 2008 and we started to
> receive intermittent issues with connecting to DFS drive. We are using the
> 1.3.17 version. Below is the error message which we are receiving in the
> logs.
>
> Caused by:
> javax.resource.spi.EISSystemException: jcifs.smb.SmbException: Invalid
> operation for ????? service
>    at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:100)
>    at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:775)
>    at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.queryPath(SmbFile.java:1363)
>    at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1417)
>
> I was able to collect a TCPDump and the SMB Negotiate protocol response step
> shows me some thing like below.
>
> ".*0(.&.$not_defined_in_RFC4178 at please_ignore"
>
> I was wanting to know if there is any specific requirements or change in
> configurations required when we moving from windows2003 to windows2008? Or
> can some one please suggest what could be causing this problem?

Hi Nikhil,

This is interesting. I don't think I have ever seen this particular
error before.

If possible, it would be great if you could send the capture to me directly.

That error:

   Invalid operation for ????? service at
jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:100)

means that the client received an SmbComTransaction response
subCommand that JCIFS doesn't understand.

If you can provide a capture, I might be able to tell you more (do not
post packet captures to the mailing list).

Java Active Directory Integration