[jcifs] Error message "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 08:03:01 MST 2012

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM, Hitendra
<hitendra.behera at fostersgroup.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Web are using small case of domain name, and all are in same WINS server. So
> during authentication it is set as new NtlmPasswordAuthentication( "auvics106",
> "user", "xxxxx" )
>
> It was working before, and suddenly stop working while processing Type3message
> with auvics106 (Windows 2000) server.

Hi Hitendra,

What is the error? Post a stack trace. Describe the behavior that you
believe is errant.

Note that Windows 2000 is no longer supported by Microsoft so
technically I don't either. But it has been known to work in the past.
At least with the latest SP it does.

> After doing thorough investigation, found there is no need to send across the
> domain name since the account is local and the server auvics106 is not
> registered to any domain. It is configured as workgroup.
>
> I am not sure why it was working before and why it just stop working now, but I
> had a look at the code of jcifs, found this
>
> jcifs.ntlmssp.Type3Message.toByteArray()
> Line [432] String domainName = getDomain();
>
> I guess this should be
> String domainName = getDomain().toUpperCase()
>
> After fixing this, it works fine whether it is lowercase or uppercase.
>
> Is this fix is correct???

I don't know but I doubt it. I would need to see symptoms beyond
"suddenly it stop working" to perform any kind of real diagnosis.

Java Active Directory Integration