[jcifs] SMB Error 0xC0000205 (STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES)

John McCarthy jmsignup at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 14:26:45 MDT 2012

Hi everyone,
First off, let me say thank you for developing jCIFS.  It has been very helpful,
and I appreciate your hard work and help.

I'm having an issue on a Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit system where sometimes I
get SMB Error 0xC0000205 returned when instantiating an SmbFileOutputStream with
an SmbFile.  Here's the relevant portion of the stack trace using jcifs-
1.3.17.jar,
	Caused by: jcifs.smb.SmbException: 0xC0000205
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:563)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:663)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:238)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.send(SmbTree.java:119)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.send(SmbFile.java:775)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open0(SmbFile.java:989)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open(SmbFile.java:1006)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFileOutputStream.<init>(SmbFileOutputStream.java:142)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFileOutputStream.<init>(SmbFileOutputStream.java:97)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbFileOutputStream.<init>(SmbFileOutputStream.java:67)

Now, I'm pretty convinced this is a Windows error because I have captured and
analyzed network packets when this occurs.  I posted the following to
Microsoft's forums,
  http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-
US/windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues/thread/35d375b8-7f2e-482b-9e2b-295c5a9699ed/
As you can see, they redirected me here.  I'm fairly certain this isn't a jCIFS
issue, but I would appreciate any help and insight you can offer.

Here's the content of the MSDN post,

I'm using the Java library jCIFS to transfer files to a share on a Windows 2008
R2 64-bit server with authentication.  I'm running into an intermittent issue
where the server responses with SMB error code 0xC0000205, which is
STATUS_INSUFF_SERVER_RESOURCES: "Insufficient server memory to perform the
requested operation" (from SMB Error Classes and Codes).  This error is coming
back in response to a SMB_COM_NT_CREATE_ANDX command.

These servers have plenty of free physical memory (>4GB free, >=8GB on the
system typically), and there are no corresponding events in the Windows Event
Viewer.  Immediate retries of the same operation sometimes succeed and sometimes
fail for the same reason.

I've tried the workaround described in the KB307257 regarding the XactMemSize
parameter, but the problem keeps coming up.  I'm looking for any more
information here and haven't found much searching around.  Is there a way to
enable more SMB logging or events?  This is through the LanmanServer process,
right?  I've browsed the LanmanServer configuration parameters without finding
anything.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Thank you again for your time and help.

-John