[jcifs] JCIFS 1.3.17 & Isilon/OneFs Server

Lummis, Patrick J PJL at dolby.com
Mon Jun 25 17:30:52 MDT 2012

Howdy,

Before I move up the software stack to VFS2 (commons-vfs), I'm experiencing the following...

An issue has come up whereby the latest jcifs, jcifs-1.3.17, fails to connect to an Isilon server with credentials or as anonymous. Previous version, jcifs-1.2.13, connects fine.

Furthermore, connecting to Windows SAMBA shares and Linux CIFS shares over the same network utilizing jcifs 1.3.17 works beautifully.

Also, connecting to the Isilon share utilizing linux smbclient through the machine executing the jcifs 1.3.17 client also works as expected, which leads me to believe its narrowed down to the jcifs 1.3.17 distribution or VFS.

The following is the thrown exception....

Caused by: jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:546)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:663)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:390)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:218)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:176)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.doConnect(SmbFile.java:911)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:954)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:880)
        at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1415)
        at org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.smb.SmbFileObject.doGetType(SmbFileObject.java:133)
        at org.apache.commons.vfs2.provider.AbstractFileObject.getType(AbstractFileObject.java:497)

Likewise, the same exception is thrown utilizing the SmbShell.java example code with jcifs 1.3.17.jar provided by the jcifs project.

Any insight as to what may be going on with Isilon server in conjunction with jcifs 1.3.17 client?

Patrick Lummis
Staff Engineer, Embedded Software
Content Creation Applications
Products & Technology Group