[jcifs] SmbFile delete take too much time

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 23:27:59 MDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 3:48 AM, yatin.baraiya <baraiya.yatin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> My web-based j2ee application is based on following technology:
> Frame Work:Struts2.0
> Server:Tomcat 6.0
> Front UI:JSP,JSTL/Struts tag,HTML
> For saving/getting any files from the windows web server we have use the
> jcifs-1.3.14.jar file.
> Database:Microsoft SQL Server 9.00.2047.00
> Language:Core java,XML,xslt.
>
> Right now i have upload  one folder to the server  having 1000
> documents,with Using the SmbFile api.
> Now i  delete this folder from the java ,For that as per the logic , first i
> deletes all documents inside the folder and  then delete this folder.
> below is my java code for deleting the documents
> SmbFile removeFile = null;
>                 String remotePath = "c://windows//server";
>                 try
>                         {
>                                 removeFile = new SmbFile(remotePath + relativeLocation);
>                                 removeFile.delete();
>                         }
>                         catch (SmbException b)
>                         {
>                                 continue;
>                         }
> while the above process taking too much time to delete the documents, (it
> will take time because , it will delete file from the windows web server

Hi Yatin,

How much time is too much time. Is it 10 seconds or 10 minutes or ...?

JCIFS is very fast. Deleting a folder with 100,000 entries should take
less than 2 seconds.

So I would suggest looking in the examples directory for an example
that deletes a file or modify one of the examples to simulate what
you're doing. The you can test your operation on the commandline. If
you find that it is also slow, enable logging and study where the
delay is.

My first guess would be that it's a name service problem. Meaning
JCIFS is trying the name, it times out and then it falls back to
another server or method and then it succeeds.

Java Active Directory Integration
http://www.ioplex.com/