[jcifs] WINS failover?

Abraham Lin abraham.lin at post.harvard.edu
Fri Jul 13 09:13:42 MDT 2012

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the detailed explanations - they have been very helpful in
determining the best course of action.

Is it configured to replicate with the other NBNS?  If it's not configured
> to replicate, and if the clients (the Domain Controllers) are registering
> with the second NBNS, then the first one simply won't have any knowledge of
> the registered 0x1C names.

As far as I'm aware, they *should* be configured to replicate. We've only
come across this issue recently, and the other 3 or so WINS servers on the
network all behave similarly. I'll put in a service request to have this
looked at.

> It's meant to support failover between replicated servers.  If the "WINS"
> servers you are using are not synchronized, then they represent different
> namespaces and a name registered in one will not be registered in the
> other.

Thanks for the clarification. Since I'm trying to handle a very specific
(unusual?) case, it'd probably be best for me to implement a custom
failover strategy using the relevant NETBIOS classes.

Thanks for your help!

-Abraham