[jcifs] WINS failover?

Abraham Lin abraham.lin at post.harvard.edu
Thu Jul 12 19:20:18 MDT 2012

Hi Christopher,

First off, thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by a "response type of 0x0A"?

Sorry, I meant "record type." The response (as logged by jCIFS) looks like
this:

NameQueryResponse[nameTrnId=1,isResponse=true,opCode=QUERY,isAuthAnswer=true,isTruncated=false,isRecurAvailable=true,isRecurDesired=true,isBroadcast=false,resultCode=3,questionCount=0,answerCount=0,authorityCount=0,additionalCount=0,questionName=null,questionType=0x0000,questionClass=IN,recordName=DOMAIN<1C>,recordType=NULL,recordClass=IN,ttl=0,rDataLength=0,addrEntry=[Ljcifs.netbios.NbtAddress;@5d56ead7
]

Inspecting the object in a debugger gives the numerical value of 0x0A.

> I believe that the error code you are listing is:
>
> NAM_ERR (0x3):          Name Error
> The requested name does not exist in the selected name table(s).

Hmm, that's odd. As you may be able to tell from the log entry above, I'm
performing a name query for domain controllers, so I'm not sure why the
WINS server wouldn't have any matching entries.

Any ideas as to how to best handle this? I don't have access to the WINS
servers themselves, so I've been looking into whether it'd be possible to
fail over to another (working) server instead. The logic in
NameServiceClient suggests that it's trying to support some kind of
failover, though I'm not sure whether my situation is meant to be supported.

Thanks!

-Abraham