[jcifs] Is the work-around also the answer?

Bret Comstock Waldow bcw1000 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 16:32:38 MDT 2011

On 23/10/11 21:01, André Warnier wrote:
> But jCIFS cannot automatically adapt, because it cannot support NTLMv2.
Hello,

1) The system worked fine (or so I'm told) until June of this year.
2) The system then began rejecting some logins.
3) The pre-authentication work-around completely solves the problem
since then.  Completely.  I'm not inquiring to find out if it might -
I'm stating that it does in production.

>From what I read, I believe including here, that couldn't happen if the
AD had switched to NTLMv2, as the entire authentication process wouldn't
work,  pre-authentication or not.

> So it fails to authenticate. And when the primary DC is turned on
> again, it will work again for a while.
I can remove the pre-authentication stanzas from the xml, and the
software will not authenticate, and put them back and it will - all in
the space of 15 minutes.  I don't think by coincidence that the AD
people just happen to be switching between NTLMv1 & v2 at those same times.

Am I mis-reading to think I have read that jCIFS won't authenticate at
all with NTLMv2, regardless of whether I use the pre-authentication or not?

Thanks,
Bret