[jcifs] Different client properties on the same JVM

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 22:48:03 MDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Javier Mendez
<jmendez at searchtechnologies.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´m facing a problem with the client properties. I want to use two (or more)
> different sets of properties on the same Java virtual machine.
>
> Is my understanding, that in the way JCIFS is built at the moment, it will use a
> static reference to the client properties (jcifs.Config) and then the first time
> classes are referenced those properties are loaded.
>
> What is the purpose behind that?

Hi Javier,

Windows clients cannot dynamically change their lmcompatibilitylevel
or WINS server or response timeout or whatever you might set through
jcifs.Config. So it was not considered important for JCIFS to be able
to change these properties in a non-global way either. But ...

> Also, are there any plans of changing the way properties are managed in the
> future? If no, then how much effort (if that is possible of course) would be
> required to make that change?

Yes. This has been a desirable feature for a while. But it would
require considerable restructuring. It's really a 2.0 feature. But
that is on hold indefinitely because I just don't have a lot of "Free"
time these days. We're in maintenance mode right now and even that is
limited mostly to significant bugs.

Thanks for the feedback.

Java Active Directory Integration