[jcifs] ShareSecurity with OverlandStorage Server aka SnapServer

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Oct 19 06:43:58 MDT 2011

Mazhar Lateef wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> Does this mean Jcifs will not be compatible with SMB V2,

I never said that, and I don't think I said anything in my e'mail that would
suggest it.

Currently, however, jCIFS does not support SMB2 but that's okay because
every server of which I am aware still supports SMB1.

All I was trying to point out is that SMB/CIFS is a complex protocol and
ever server will behave a bit differently.  In addition, every configuration
variation will cause a difference in behavior.

> Regarding the SnapServer, I will try to find out about the configuration
> options available, and see if there is anything that is forcing this
> behaviour of returning the Everyone Group.

Forcing or enabling.

The Windows ownership and permissions system is complicated, and also quite
different from the Unix/Posix/Linux system.  A mapping has to occur in order
to ensure that permissions work as expected.

> Many Thanks for your input.

Welcome.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org