[jcifs] SmbTransport thread accumulation issues

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 12:59:18 MDT 2011

BTW: I tried NIO once. Once. It is a crumby implementation of
select(2) from UNIX (which was always considered by many to be a
rather crude design in itself). NIO should be called "NoIO". I had
trouble just getting it to work reliably. And note that NIO would not
really help that much. It would only help in this particular case
where you want to communicate with 100 servers in parallel. Otherwise,
JCIFS is actually extremely efficient. The CIFS protocol allows for
multiplexing requests. Meaning you can send request A and B and get
the response for B before A. And JCIFS fully utilizes this. JCIFS can
touch every file on a workstation in under 10 seconds if the server
cache is hot. If the non-blocking implementation in Java were better I
might consider using it. But it's not.

Java Active Directory Integration
http://www.ioplex.com/