[jcifs] SO_TIMEOUT

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 07:32:31 MDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Somerfield, Daniel <dsomerfi at harris.com> wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> We are using JCIFs to do some scheduling stuff. Firstly: thanks for the
> library. Your work on this is appreciated.
>

> Secondly, I wanted to mention a problem we are seeing: it looks like the fix
> to make the SO_TIMEOUT set during connect has a problem in SmbTransport. You
> have removed the explicit setSoTimeout() call, but replaced it with:
>

>             socket.connect(new InetSocketAddress(address.getHostAddress(),
> 139), SO_TIMEOUT);
>

> The problem is that the second parameter is not SO_TIMEOUT, but connection
> timeout. We have seen instances where the connection is established, but
> then it hangs indefinitely until we change the code to set it explicitly. I
> believe to set the SO_TIMEOUT, you have to do it as you were doing it
> before—although there may be a global variable to set somewhere, I am not
> sure.

[cc-ing the JCIFS mailing list]

Hi Daniel,

Yes this is a bug. We should also call setSoTimeout separately. I have
added the issue to the TODO. It's actually a mildly important change.
I will try to push it out sooner than later. Thanks for spotting the
error.

> Sorry for the direct email. Your link to join the mailing list is broken.

They change the link once in a while (probably to keep spammers at
bay). Googling for "jcifs mailing list" will locate the mailman page.

Java Active Directory Integration