[jcifs] Problem with sometimes not responding call to smbFile.listFiles()

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 23:01:43 MDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Feichtinger Markus
<markus.feichtinger at bartelt.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We are calling the listFiles() method of an SmbFile object and sometimes it
> does not return. This problem occurs only at our customers and we could not
> constantly reproduce it to find the reason. Does anybody know this problem
> or is expiriencing it too? What can be the reason for it and how to prevent
> it? Our customers said that they had no network problems so this is already
> exluded as possible reason.

Hi Markus,

JCIFS has been around for a long time so I am skeptical that there
could be some kind of error where JCIFS is just hanging. Which is to
say "no", I'm not aware of any such problem.

What exactly is the error? Post a stack trace.

What version of JCIFS are you using?

Is the directory being listed more than 100,000 entries?

Are you doing anything with the files and directories while you list
them like communicate with a database?

What does your code look like. Post the JCIFS bits.

Java Active Directory Integration