[jcifs] Jcifs 1.3.8_tb and Windows 2008R2

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 22:57:55 MDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Mazhar Lateef
<mazhar.lateef at virtualcode.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
> I am using Jcifs 1.3.8_tb in my application and can not use the latest jcifs
> library for some missing functions in the newer versions of the Jcifs
> library.
> We have been testing our app which requires reading data from a Cifs share,
> when testing with Windows 2008 R2, unfortunately it does not seem to work.
> We get the following exception which seems to be at the authentication
> phase.
> smbtransport: new connection 0.0.0.0<00>/10.1.165.15 445 administrator
> Oct 06, 2011 4:59:02 PM jcifsdemo.JCIFSDemo printFileMetaDataUsingNTLM
> SEVERE: null
> jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad
> password.
> at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:547)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:669)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:380)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:241)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:161)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.doConnect(SmbFile.java:863)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:906)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:832)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.queryPath(SmbFile.java:1285)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.exists(SmbFile.java:1371)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.isDirectory(SmbFile.java:1446)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.getSecurity(SmbFile.java:2877)
> at jcifs.smb.SmbFile.getSecurity(SmbFile.java:2960)
> at jcifsdemo.JCIFSDemo.printFileMetaDataUsingNTLM(JCIFSDemo.java:89)
> at jcifsdemo.JCIFSDemo.main(JCIFSDemo.java:51)
>
> As this seems to be an authentication issue. is there a way to use Jcifs
> version 1.3.8 with Windows 2008 R2?
> With the latest version of Jcifs (version 1.3.16) application works fine and
> I am able to read the remote directory and list files, but I am not able to
> get some file metadata which I can with 1.3.8 which is why I have to use the
> older version of jcifs.

Hi Maz,

I don't know why it would not work with 2008 R2. NTLMv2 was fully
functional in 1.3.x.

And I don't know of any change that removed functionality like you
speak of. What "metadata" are you looking for?

You could chase either one of these issues but clearly you don't want
to commit yourself to a specific version of JCIFS so describe exactly
what "metadata" you're trying to get.

Java Active Directory Integration