[jcifs] java.net.UnknownHostException: at jcifs.netbios.NameServiceClient.getAllByName(NameServiceClient.java:307)

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:30:45 MDT 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 5:11 AM, Sreenivasulu Nallapati
<sreenu.nallapati at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are migrating Java application from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server
> 2008 without Hiper - V.
>
> We are using jcifs for NTLM, which is working fine in the existing
> system(Windows Server 2003). After migrating the same is throwing
> java.net.UnknownHostException: at
> jcifs.netbios.NameServiceClient.getAllByName(NameServiceClient.java:307)
> exception in Windows Server 2008.

Hi Sreenivasulu,

You should always use fully qualified DNS hostnames. NetBIOS hostnames
(short one-label names) are deprecated.

If you post the full stack trace I might be able to help you futher.
But from the exception text given I can only see that a NetBIOS name
lookup is failing and assume that because NetBIOS in Windows is going
away that you are trying to use NetBIOS hostnames.

Java Active Directory Integration