[jcifs] samba server lists wrong shares

Felix Schumacher felix.schumacher at internetallee.de
Thu Mar 31 04:59:46 MDT 2011

 On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 13:28:06 -0500, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> Michael B Allen wrote:
>> Hi Felix,
>>
>> IIRC this is a sort of weird interaction specific to features of
>> Samba
>> and JCIFS. JCIFS reuses connections even when credentials are
>> different. This is more efficient but when used with the Samba user
>> directories feature it will result in listing other users that share
>> that transport.
>
> That is because the protocol itself allows and expects multiple
> authentications to occur over the same transport connection.  This is
> due to
> the nature of DOS, OS/2, and Windows systems.  They expect that there
> will
> be a single user sitting at the console screen, but that the user may
> have
> different identities on different servers.  Therefore, all of the
> multiple
> authentications over the same connection are being performed by or on
> the
> behalf of that one user.
>
> Even in an NT Domain or Active Directory environment, the Windows
> client may
> use multiple credential sets (including guest and anonymous) to talk
> to a
> server.  Each of these may be active at the same time.

 So both of you seem to think, that my test case should succeed and it
 is
 probably a samba server bug.

>> But there could be a work-around. You can stop JCIFS from reusing
>> transports by setting the property jcifs.smb.client.ssnLimit = 1
>> (although this will cause a whole new socket and transport object to
>> be created for each unique set of credentials which uses a
>> considerable amount of resources). I think this will stop the
>> aforementioned weird interaction.
>
> What Samba is probably doing is keeping track of which users have
> been
> authenticated over the given connection and using that list to
> determine
> which home directories to return in the shares list.  If that's the
> case,
> and if Windows does *not* do the same, then it may be worth reporting
> as a
> Samba issue.
>
>> Note that JCIFS properties are global and static so beware if you
>> have
>> other code using JCIFS for other things, setting this property will
>> affect them as well.
>
> This is, however, a worth-while test.  I would be interested in
> knowing
> whether Samba and Windows display the same behavior.

 I would love to perform such a test, but I haven't found anyone, who
 could
 tell me how I hide shares for specific users under windows.

 That means I can't set up the userA sees only share userA and userB
 sees
 only share userB with a windows file server.

 Bye
  Felix