[jcifs] Patch to fix some issues

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Sat Jul 30 10:54:10 MDT 2011

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Sai Pullabhotla
<sai.pullabhotla at jmethods.com> wrote:
> Just for clarification...
>
> Are you saying that Windows XP (native windows code) does not set this flag
> when connecting to network shares?

Hello Sai,

Correct. At least the one XP SP2 client that I tested did not use that flag.

> If so, does it really matter what XP
> does, if JCIFS with the flag set in its requests works with all SMB/CIFS
> servers?

Yes. It matters. There is no CIFS specification that anyone actually
follows. So it is my position that JCIFS should follow the observed
behavior of the oldest supported Windows CIFS client (XP SP2). This
greatly reduces the possibility that a change in Windows servers could
affect JCIFS because Microsoft could not make any such change without
affecting the backward compatibility of their own clients. And, what
is perhaps more important, the "do as Windows does" rule maximizes
compatibility with other non-Microsoft servers because they will also
ultimately be writing to Windows clients and using documentation as
reference materials.

If the XP SP2 TRANS2_FIND_FIRST2 operation works with IBM iSeries
servers then someone should find out why and post a patch for that and
not just any patch that makes it work.

Or if it was shown that Vista used the RESUME_FROM_PREVIOUS_END flag,
then we can bend the rule a little since we know it will not be long
before it becomes the oldest supported Windows CIFS client. But I have
not checked Vista and I do not know if it uses this flag (and I doubt
it does).

Java Active Directory Integration
http://www.ioplex.com/