[jcifs] Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Jason Millard jsm174 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 12:22:36 MDT 2011

> Unfortunately no. The jcifs-krb5 branch was contributed by another
> party with the hope that it would catalyze the integration of Kerberos
> into the main JCIFS codebase. However, the core JCIFS API based on the
> SmbFile class has not changed much in almost 10 years and as such it
> has NtlmPasswordAuthentication class references littered throughout.
> All of these NTLM specific credential references will need to be
> factored out and that is not something that can happen in 1.x. So
> Kerberos is a 2.0 feature and there are currently no plans for working
> on a 2.0. Even though technically the jcifs-krb5 codebase works, it
> has numerous problems that would make it difficult to work with.
> Credential management being one of the main problems. I'm not sure
> that anyone really uses it seriously. Ultimately it is a
> proof-of-concept package.

Thank you for explaining everything so thoroughly. I really appreciate
it. I spent an hour with KerberosAuthExample.java and was finally able
to get authentication to succeed, but then the directory listing kept
failed.

    [Krb5LoginModule] authentication succeeded
    Commit Succeeded

    jcifs.smb.SmbException: Invalid operation for   service

Since the krb5 branch is just a proof of concept, I won't put any more
effort into it. I was thinking the credential management might be an
issue anyway.

Thanks again,
-- Jason