[jcifs] Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

Jason Millard jsm174 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 09:44:42 MDT 2011

> Hi Jason,
>
> Listing shares from another machine is actually not really the same
> thing because it is almost certainly using Kerberos and not NTLM. Find
> / create an XP install that is NOT joined to any domain (or it might
> suffice to simply login using a local account). Then do Start > Run >
> cmd > dir //server.fqdn.local/share. This should pop up a password
> dialog at which point you should enter the same exact credentials that
> are failing with JCIFS. That will then be a fair comparison.

Mike,

Thank you for the information. I setup a new WinXP install that's not
joined to a domain.

Whenever I try to get the directory listing from the command line I get:

   A specified logon session does not exist. It may already have been
terminated.

Here is the command I issued:

   C:\Documents and Settings\user>dir \\server.fqdn\userhome$\username

I tried the dir command a couple different ways with the same results.

I was able to get this to work.

   net use * \\server.fqdn\userhome$\username /u:domain\username password

   Drive Z: is now connected to \\server.fqdn\userhome$\username

I captured all the traffic with wireshark.  I'm going to start going
through it now.

Thanks,
-- Jason