[jcifs] Changes in jCIFS

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 19:01:46 MDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Christopher R. Hertel <crh at samba.org> wrote:
> Michael B Allen wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Christopher R. Hertel <crh at samba.org> wrote:
>>> Michael B Allen wrote:
>>> :
>>> There should be a specification for this.  Which call is it?  Let me know
>>> and I will look it up.  If it's not specified, I can file a documentation
>>> bug report.
>>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> I am aware of the work that you have done on the Microsoft Windows
>> protocol documents in this area. But as I pointed out earlier in the
>> thread, no such documentation existed when all of the servers like
>> Samba, iSeries, EMC, etc (or Windows) were written. So everyone just
>> wrote and tested their code until the various Windows clients were
>> satisfied. And that is largely why we see variation in what the
>> lastNameOffset field of the TRANS2_FIND_FIRST2 response actually
>> points to and I believe it is why we have seen issues with listing
>> files on iSeries and the server Marco is using (Solaris was it?).
>
> Understood.  The lack of documentation over so many years led to a lot of
> randomization in the implementations.
>
> ...but you wrote "there is no spec", which is no longer true.

If you wrote a client based entirely on the "spec" you refer to would
it work with all servers? No. So that is what I mean by "there is no
spec".

We will have to wait until people write servers that honor the new
documentation before we can really reference it as "the spec".
Otherwise, the "spec" is Windows XP SP3 as far as I'm concerned.

Note that I referred to Windows XP SP2 as being the oldest supported
version of Windows but in fact SP2 is no longer supported. SP3
extended support is good through April 2014.

Java Active Directory Integration