[jcifs] Problem with SMBAuthentication in Mac OS X

arunize arungi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 00:42:44 MDT 2011

Hi All,

I am trying SMB authentication in Mac OS X 10.6.2 with jcifs-1.3.15. I
understand that mac bundled with Samba-3.0.28a-apple. The java code for
authentication is like given below.

	String hostName = InetAddress.getLocalHost().getHostName();
	InetAddress[] ipList = InetAddress.getAllByName(hostName);
	for(InetAddress ip : ipList) {
		try {
			UniAddress uniAddr = new UniAddress(ip);
			NtlmPasswordAuthentication auth = new NtlmPasswordAuthentication(
					uniAddr.getHostName(), "operator", "op123");

			SmbSession.logon(uniAddr, auth);
			System.out.println("AUTH PASS");
		}catch (Exception exep) {
			exep.printStackTrace();
			System.out.println("AUTH FAIL");
		}
	}

When I pass username that’s not available in the system it doesn't throw any
exception and prints "AUTH PASS". When I pass a valid username with valid
password (as given in the code "operator" a is valid user with password
"op123") it throws exception like
‪jcifs.smb.SmbAuthException: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad
password.‬
‪    at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:544)‬
‪    at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:661)‬
‪    at jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:390)‬