[jcifs] VC Number = 0 from XP but not 2003

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 20:05:44 MDT 2010

Hi Brian,

I have confirmed your diagnosis. Frame 458 is not as interesting
because even though there is an RST from the server, it is immediately
preceeded by an SMB_COM_FIND_CLOSE2. But frame 5656 is an
SMB_COM_NT_CREATE_ANDX request that clearly gets cut off by an RST
from the server immediately after the SMB_COM_SESSION_SETUP_ANDX with
VC Number = 0 from the XP machine hosting JCIFS.

I have just tried an XP install I have here and it also uses VC Number
= 0. However, a Windows 2003 Server I have uses VC Number = 0 for
connecting to IPC$ but it uses VC Number = 1 for connecting to a
conventional share (or maybe it's 1 because it's an additional session
- the session on IPC$ was on the same socket).

So I definitively confirm your diagnosis: The session setup from XP is
clearly cutting off the JCIFS transport.

Unfortunately I do not have a good solution for you. I don't know if
there's even a way to change this behavior of Windows. Do you know
Chris?

Java Active Directory Integration
http://www.ioplex.com/