[jcifs] how to use preauthentication to get around "Access is denied" error?

Brian Lee leeb_08 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 1 09:59:53 MDT 2010

Hi,

I've got an application that gets file listings on shared Windows folders using
JCIFS.  However, there is one particular server that is giving us grief.  It
works 95% of the time but every so often, it'll start giving "Access is denied"
messages for long stretches at a time (half hour plus).  But then miraculously,
the error will clear and things will be working smoothly again.

I figured that the issue was due to the Windows Server 2003 domain controller
issue.  We're attempting to authenticate several different users near
simultaneously (the jobs are working from a timer); from my online research it
appears that the solution is using preauthentication.  However, when I try to
find out HOW to do preauthentication, the docs are pretty sparse.

What I tried is creating an instance of the NtlmPasswordAuthentication, passing
in the user credentials and using the SmbFile constructor that takes that in as
a parameter.  Unfortunately, we're still seeing the same error message pop up
when I make the call to SmbFile.listFiles() so I must be doing it wrong.

Could somebody either explain to me the proper way of doing preauthentication or
refer me to an example out there?  Or is the error message a symptom of a
completely different problem?  Thanks!

Brian