[jcifs] NullPointer Exceptions with OES2

Travis Ennis travis.ennis at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 09:53:46 MDT 2010

Hi Mike,

I have begun working on the issue that is discussed below under the
original subject of "StackTrace from Novell Open Enterprise Server 2."
I was wondering if you might share any insight on what you think the
issue might be and what might be done to fix it. I'm trying to speed
things along and if you could help me get past the stage where I'm
just digging through the code trying to figure out what is happening.

Thanks,
Travis

>> Thu Jul 8 12:21:05 MDT 2010

Hi Roger,

The LastNameOffset in the Trans2FindFirst2Response in your packet
capture (which you stated is Novell OES 2) points to the byte
immediately *after* the last entry in the file list.

Windows always points to the beginning of the last entry as would be
expected. Although historically this field has always been a little
troubled. Windows 98 used returns a value that falls between the
begging and end of the last entry (and last I checked JCIFS handles
this properly). But I've never seen LastNameOffset point beyond the
end of the last entry.

I have added this issue to the TODO list. I'm not sure when I'll get
around to fixing it but at least we have a definitive diagnosis
(actually the correct place to file the bug report would be with
Novell).

Mike

--
Michael B Allen