[jcifs] Kerberos

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Wed May 12 13:04:20 MDT 2010

Hi Tony,

I believe there is an example in the top-level directory that
exercises the Kerberos version. Or perhaps it is in the examples
directory (it would be the only example that is NOT in the stock JCIFS
package).

Note that the Kerberos version has only been tested with this one
example (although I believe the group that provided the Kerberos
version used it in a production environment at some point).

Mike

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Tony Thompson
<Tony.Thompson at stone-ware.com> wrote:
> Sorry to resurrect an old thread but, I have a question about getting the
> ListFiles sample to work with Kerberos.  I am using the Kerberos version of
> the jCIFS JAR and it appears to still attempt NTLM authentication.  Is there
> a way I can get the jCIFS samples to work using Kerberos?  Do I need to
> configure something?
>
> Thanks
> Tony
>
> Michael B Allen wrote:
>
> Hi Tony,
>
> Actually I think the Kerberos version can do both. The Keberos version
> is updated whenever those guys supply a new package which is every 6
> months or so. Unfortunately the JCIFS API has
> NtlmPasswordAuthentication objects littered throughout the codebase
> and those need to be factored out and replaced with some credential
> agnostic infrastructure. I'm pretty sure I know what I'm going to do
> for that but for a variety of reasons it's not going to happen soon.
>
> Mike
>
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Tony Thompson
> <Tony.Thompson at stone-ware.com> wrote:
>

> I am currently using the NTLM code in jCIFS to do NTLM authentication to my
> web applications (like the NtlmHttpFilter).  I am also using jCIFS to
> connect to CIFS shares.  I have a project that requires me to connect to
> CIFS shares using Kerberos.  From what I can tell, it looks like I can do
> either NTLM or Kerberos, not both.  Is this a correct assumption?  Also, how
> often is the Kerberos download updated?  It appears to be a couple revisions
> behind jCIFS core.
>
> Thanks
> Tony
>

> This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the
> use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may
> contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or
> constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient
> you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or
> distribution of this message, or files associated with this message,
> is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
> please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting
> it from your computer. Messages sent to and from Stoneware, Inc.
> may be monitored.

Java Active Directory Integration