[jcifs] jCIFS 1.3.8 java.net.SocketException: Connection timed out:could be due to invalid address

Ivan Petrov lordjohnp at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 01:06:56 MDT 2010

Hi,

I’m using jCIFS 1.3.8 to access windows share from UNIX/AIX server.
LDAP user is used to access windows share.
I’m constantly receiving following error:

java.net.SocketException: Connection timed out:could be due to invalid address#
       at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)#
       at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:355)#
       at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:220)#
       at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:207)#
       at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:479)#
       at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:429)#
       at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:336)#
       at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:152)#
       at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.negotiate(SmbTransport.java:249)#
       at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.doConnect(SmbTransport.java:306)#
       at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.run(Transport.java:240)#
       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:770)#

but finally I’m still receiving folder content. The problem is that
just a simple browsing takes  5-7 minutes just to enter a folder with
1 file in it.
If I’m using local windows user for this access everything works ok.
I’ve made a thread dumps and they show that 17 to 19 jcifs.transport2
threads are locked by one jcifs.transport2 thread and beside that
there is another jcifs.trasport1 thread that is working ok.
I’ve also made a network dumps and they are NOT attached to the mail
because of size limitation.

With jCIFS 1.2.9 the same scenario worked ok.

Best regards,
Ivan Petrov Petrov