[jcifs] max_xmit - why 4280?

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 08:15:50 MST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Del Merritt <del at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On 03/11/2010 05:28 PM, Michael B Allen wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:14 PM, Del Merritt <del at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> A question was raised a while back about getting a DcerpcException with the
>>> message "Fragmented request PDUs currently not supported":
>>>
>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.samba.java/6745/match=fragmented+request+pdus
>>>
>>> I am seeing this too, and it appears that the values for max_xmit and
>>> max_recv are hardcoded to 4280 in jcifs/dcerpc/DcerpcHandle.java; I'm using
>>> JCIFS 1.3.14 as a baseline.
>>>
>>> Is there a reason for this limit?  Is it something that should be negotiated
>>> and just hasn't happened yet?  I'm still learning the ins and outs of CIFS
>>> as I am porting JCIFS to a J2ME environment.
>>>
>> Hi Del,
>>
>> Those are just observed values.
>>

> Sorry - would you elaborate?

Hi Del,

The values for max_xmit and max_recv are values that Windows clients
have been observed using. Windows is as Windows does. So we just copy
what Windows does and you should too.

>> Note that JCIFS supports fragmented response PDUs. It just doesn't
>> support fragmented *request* PDUs. It's somewhat unusual for a DCERPC
>> request to contain a lot of data. Usually it's the response that is
>> big.
>>

> I am trying to send a large chunks of data (that when assembled will be
> a "file") to another system that I discover via JCIFS.  To minimize
> overhead - mostly in the form of time spent - on the sending host, I'm
> trying to make those chunks as big as is reasonable.

I think you're confused. The DCERPC layer has nothing to do with
sending files. The size of file stream writes is somewhat controlled
by the jcifs.smb.client.snd_buf_size and jcifs.smb.client.rcv_buf_size
properties. But you really don't want to mess with those values. Even
if you see an increase in performance by increasing the size of those
values, it is very possible that in another environment the result
could be a significant decrease in overall throughput. And in general,
you really should not change values of properties if you're not sure
about what they do.

Java Active Directory Integration