[jcifs] spaces in a network share

André Warnier aw at ice-sa.com
Fri Mar 5 07:33:32 MST 2010

Bogguard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What character does a space needs to be replaced with to work in a share name?
> I tried the following but always got the following respond :
> -> The network name cannot be found.
>
> I tried the following (share name = test name)
> - test%20name
> - test\ name
> - test\\ name
> - test\040name
> - test\\040name
> - test\\\040name
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bogguard
>
> ps : the network share exists for sure (the other share without space on the
> server works)

This may help :
http://www.kixtart.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=81647&site_id=1#import

(see the comment about leading spaces being cropped)

I would add that using spaces in any kind of resource name (whether
filenames, directory names or shares or whatever) is in general a bad
idea.  It will always catch you somewhere, because you you will always
end up missing a level of quoting somewhere.
Whoever invented that was a marketing guy, not a programmer.