[jcifs] java.io.IOException: Failed to establish session

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 14:10:56 MDT 2010

Hi Adam,

That is indeed a mistake. The code should read:

243                         if (log.level >= 2)
244                             ex0.printStackTrace(log);

I have adjusted this in my local copy and it will be included in the
next release.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Adam Morgan <adam.morgan at q1labs.com> wrote:
> Hello
>

> I’m running into an issue related to network connectivity.  We’ve setup a
> windows box with samba and are connecting successfully with a client.  We
> have a script running on the windows box to periodically turn off the
> network adapter.  This is resulting in an exception being written to STDOUT
> by the jcifs library, but the issue is never elevated to our code so we
> cannot handle it gracefully (ie try a reconnect).  We’re not doing anything
> funky with configuration, just using the API in vanilla mode.
>

> Here’s the exception:
>

> java.io.IOException: Failed to establish session with
> 0.0.0.0<00>/172.16.30.183
>
>     at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.ssn139(SmbTransport.java:230)
>
>     at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.negotiate(SmbTransport.java:247)
>
>     at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.doConnect(SmbTransport.java:309)
>
>     at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.run(Transport.java:232)
>
>     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:619)
>

> I see in jcifs.util.transport.Transport, line 243, that the exception is
> being printed to STDOUT.
>

> Can u explain why this exception isn’t passed on up thru to the code that is
> using the API so we can handle it gracefully?  I’ve seen other timeout
> exceptions that DO get passed up the chain so what might be making this one
> not get passed up?
>

> Thanks
>

> Adam

Java Active Directory Integration