[jcifs] Performance loss with listFiles

René Liebmann rene_liebmann at datamatics.de
Tue Jan 12 03:11:24 MST 2010

Hi everybody,

I have implemented a multithreaded File analyser, which compares files
within network shares to find duplicates. That works fine so far, but there
is a continuously loss of performance. If I put for example 400.000 times
the same SmbFile into my logic, then everything is fine, but as soon as I
use the listFiles method of SmbFile and I’m going recursively down that loss
of performance is there. Right after the start I’m able to analyse around
250 files per second, but after 100.000 files I arrive at 50 files per
second and it goes still down. In huge file systems with several terra bytes
this is not so good.

I had used several versions of jCifs so far, but there was no change.  Does
anyone know a reason for this behavior or do I use jCifs in a way it is not
intend for?

Thanks

René