[jcifs] HELP - Weird connection issue ONLY over wireless

savoym MelindaSavoy at texashealth.org
Tue Feb 16 06:41:03 MST 2010

Let me preface this issue by saying that this error only occurs when I am
connected to my work network via VPN using a wireless connection at home.
If I am connected via VPN using an ethernet connection here at home I do NOT
encounter the following  :confused::

1.  Within Eclipse 3.5 SR1 I have a web application that uses jcifs NTLM to
authenticate to our primary domain controller.  NTLM uses the defined DNS.
2.  When I start up the tomcat 6.0 server and I'm watching the console I
encounter the following error:

06:28:10,423 FAIL  [HttpFilter] GET / HTTP/1.1
accept: */*
accept-language: en-us
ua-cpu: x86
accept-encoding: gzip, deflate
if-modified-since: Tue, 26 May 2009 16:24:09 GMT
if-none-match: W/"1507-1243355049805"
user-agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR
1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR
3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MS-RTC LM 8)
host: localhost:8080
connection: Keep-Alive
cookie: JSESSIONID=B9C09DC0D3BCDF048A0556EA8F1986EB
authorization: NTLM
TlRMTVNTUAABAAAAB7IIogUABQA1AAAADQANACgAAAAFASgKAAAAD1RIUkNOVTkxNTFDSjZURVhBUw==

java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: connect
	at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at java.net.Socket.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.negotiate(SmbTransport.java:249)
	at jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.doConnect(SmbTransport.java:309)
	at jcifs.util.transport.Transport.run(Transport.java:240)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

ANY HELP or direction would be greatly appreciated. The lead on our team
setup JCIFS within this web application and unfortunately, no one on our
team has any knowledge about JCIFS.  None of us are network people and do
not understand how JCIFS works, so I'll apologize for the lack of knowledge
with regard to this product.  But any assistance, again, would be greatly
appreciated.

I am assuming that there is a setting somewhere on my wireless router that
is preventing me from connecting(?).  Just taking a shot here because if I'm
in the office using VPN over a wireless connection I DO NOT encounter this
error.

Thanks in advance for any help.  Regards.