[jcifs] NTLM not working on Tomcat 6.0 with IE 7

André Warnier aw at ice-sa.com
Sat Feb 6 14:44:22 MST 2010

subhash hake wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 8:34 PM, subhash hake <subhash.hake at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am using  jcifs-1.2.25a version.
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 5:55 PM, subhash hake <subhash.hake at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I am testing ntlm authentication on tomcat 6.0 with IE 7 .it is not
>>> working on some machine .
>>>
>>> But this works well with Firefox.  In IE I am getting following exception
>>>
>> Can any body help on this ?

Hi. Probably, no.
As is indicated on the web site for jcifs, there is no longer any
development or support on the HTTP/NTLM filter, since a long time.
Basically, this module is broken, and will not work with any Windows
authentication environment which uses a version of NTLM > v1.
So it cannot not work, and will never work, in any recent
Windows environment / with any recent IE version, because they all use
NTLMv2 by default.
The fact that it works with Firefox in your case is pure luck, because
probably Firefox defaults to NTLMv1, and your Windows domain admins have
not forbidden it.
If you want a solution that works, hava a look at Jespa, at www.ioplex.com.