[jcifs] Problem listing files from IBM iSeries server

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 22:31:28 MST 2010

On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Sai Pullabhotla
<sai.pullabhotla at jmethods.com> wrote:
> Well, after doing more reading and debugging, below is what I've
> found. Please note that I'm referring to the CIFS document at
> http://www.snia.org/tech_activities/CIFS/CIFS-TR-1p00_FINAL.pdf. I ran

This document is almost completely useless and should be ignored. The
latest thing to look at would be [MS-CIFS] from the WSPP documents
from Microsoft. It was recently worked on quite a bit but I have not
looked at it so I cannot comment to it.

The best way to implement this sort of thing is to just look very
carefully at what the oldest supported OS does and copy it *exactly*.
The "exactly" part is the trick and in this case clearly JCIFS does
not copy XP exactly or it would all just work. This is partly because
there are a wide range of possible inputs (and results that are fed
back into requests as inputs) and because the JCIFS code in question
predates XP.

But if XP sets and uses the RESUME_FROM_PREVIOUS_END flag in the way
that you seemed to indicate enabled JCIFS to work with both OS400 and
Windows, then that sounds pretty good to me. Does it?

Mike