[jcifs] Is JCIFS incompatible with windows 2008 R2 domain controllers?

sajocmathew sajocmathew at yahoo.co.in
Fri Dec 17 00:32:15 MST 2010

Hi

We are using JCIFS(1.3.15) to authenticate from a Windows 7 client which
sends only NTLM v2 responses.

We are getting the following error when we use a Windows 2008 R2 domain
controller

jcifs.smb.SmbException: The parameter is incorrect. at
jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.checkStatus(SmbTransport.java:545) at
jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.send(SmbTransport.java:645) at
jcifs.smb.SmbSession.sessionSetup(SmbSession.java:322) at
jcifs.smb.SmbSession.send(SmbSession.java:224) at
jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:176) at
jcifs.smb.SmbSession.logon(SmbSession.java:153) at
jcifs.smb.SmbSession.logon(SmbSession.java:146)

The authentication mechanism works fine in the following cases

1) Client supports both ntlm v1 and v2 (lmCompatibility of client is 1) and
domain controller is Windows 2003

2) Client sends only ntlm v2 (lmCompatibility of client is 3) and domain
controller is Windows 2003

3) Client supports both ntlm v1 and v2 (lmCompatibility of client is 1) and
domain controller is Windows 2008

but we gets the above mentioned error when Client sends only ntlm v2
(lmCompatibility of client is 3) and domain controller is Windows 2008

Can some body help us here

Thanks in advance

Sajo C Mathew