[jcifs] 500 Internal Server Error when NTLMv2 session security flag is set

Anton Prevosti Vives prevosti at vivisimo.com
Thu Aug 26 11:53:13 MDT 2010

Hi all,

I am trying to use jCIFS NTLM capabilities to implement Apache HTTPClient's NTLMEngine. I am following the  instructions in http://hc.apache.org/httpcomponents-client/ntlm.html.

It works with the following Windows registry flags:
LMCompatibilityLevel in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa  set to 5

NtlmMinClientSec and NtlmMinServerSec in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0 with the following flags:
      0x10 Message integrity
      0x20 Message confidentiality
0x20000000 128-bit encryption

However, when I set the flag 0x80000 "NTLMv2 session security" I get the error:
500.0 0x80090302 SEC_E_UNSUPPORTED_FUNCTION

I am using HTTPClient 4.0.1 and JCIFS 1.3.14 and I am setting the following two properties:

jcifs.Config.setProperty("jcifs.smb.NtlmContextlmCompatibility", "5");
jcifs.Config.setProperty("jcifs.smb.client.useExtendedSecurity", "true");

The JCIFS documentation for jcifs.smb.lmCompatibility seems to imply that NTLMv2 session security is supported.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Anton