[jcifs] JCIFS and Windows 7

Melinda melindasavoy at texashealth.org
Fri Apr 30 07:23:02 MDT 2010

Caldarale, Charles R <Chuck.Caldarale <at> unisys.com> writes:

> > From: jcifs-bounces <at> lists.samba.org [mailto:jcifs-
> > bounces <at> lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of Melinda
> > Subject: Re: [jcifs] JCIFS and Windows 7
> >
> > André Warnier <aw <at> ice-sa.com> writes:
> >
> > Can you provide the link to the "page for the jCIFS HTTP filter" that
> > you eluded to in your response above?
>
> http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html
>
> IMPORTANT: All HTTP related code and corresponding documentation in JCIFS is
not supported, no longer
> maintained and will be removed because it is broken and obsolete (and because
HTTP has nothing to do with
> CIFS). This page remains only for informational purposes and for legacy users.
>
> The HTTP "filter" in particular uses a "man in the middle" technique that
cannot support NTLMv2. Since late
> 2008, users have started to report that client security policy is requiring
NTLMv2 and that this solution
> no longer works. For this reason and others described in this post, this
feature will be removed from the
> JCIFS package.
>
> Currently we recommend using Jespa which properly implements NLTMv2 server
side authentication and
> includes an advanced NTLMv2 HTTP SSO Servlet Filter.
>
>  - Chuck

MATERIAL and is thus for use
> only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact
the sender and delete the
> e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

Chuck - thanks so much for the info and the URL.  Our lead who installed JCIFS
on our application is no longer at the company that I work for and so not being
familiar with JCIFS, which by the way, has been working famously for us, is
unfortunately not known by anyone else within our company.  I will check out
JESPA and hopefully I can replace JCIFS easily with this.  Thanks again.