[jcifs] JCIFS and Windows 7

Caldarale, Charles R Chuck.Caldarale at unisys.com
Fri Apr 30 07:14:43 MDT 2010

> From: jcifs-bounces at lists.samba.org [mailto:jcifs-
> bounces at lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of Melinda
> Subject: Re: [jcifs] JCIFS and Windows 7
>
> André Warnier <aw <at> ice-sa.com> writes:
>
> Can you provide the link to the "page for the jCIFS HTTP filter" that
> you eluded to in your response above?

http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html

IMPORTANT: All HTTP related code and corresponding documentation in JCIFS is not supported, no longer maintained and will be removed because it is broken and obsolete (and because HTTP has nothing to do with CIFS). This page remains only for informational purposes and for legacy users.

The HTTP "filter" in particular uses a "man in the middle" technique that cannot support NTLMv2. Since late 2008, users have started to report that client security policy is requiring NTLMv2 and that this solution no longer works. For this reason and others described in this post, this feature will be removed from the JCIFS package.

Currently we recommend using Jespa which properly implements NLTMv2 server side authentication and includes an advanced NTLMv2 HTTP SSO Servlet Filter.

 - Chuck