[jcifs] Intermittent "jcifs.util.transport.TransportException: Connection in error" being encountered

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 11:21:32 MDT 2010

HI Sourav,

That error is probably exactly what it says. I suspect the load on the
machine has simply increased recently and it's taking longer for Java
to get around to JCIFS' needs. Just try increasing the timeouts like:

  jcifs.smb.client.responseTimeout = 120000
  jcifs.smb.client.soTimeout = 140000

This increases timeous 4 x from the default.

However, it would be better to identify why it is taking so long
between sending the request and receiving the response and isolate the
bottleneck and fix it. It might be memory, traffic, a slow CIFS
server, etc.

Mike

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Sourav.Basu <basu.sourav2008 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys, Our application, hosted on a Unix server, uses SMB to create files on
> a Windows server. However, since th last 2 days, the application is
> encountering intermittent connection timeout errors while creating the file.
> A restart of the application is resolving the problem, which is strange. The
> application code hasn't changed during this time period. Following is the
> stack trace of the exception encountered:
> jcifs.util.transport.TransportException: Connection in error
> jcifs.util.transport.TransportException: Connection timeout at
> jcifs.util.transport.Transport.connect(Transport.java:164) at
> jcifs.smb.SmbTransport.connect(SmbTransport.java:254) at
> jcifs.smb.SmbTree.treeConnect(SmbTree.java:119) at
> jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect(SmbFile.java:790) at
> jcifs.smb.SmbFile.connect0(SmbFile.java:760) at
> jcifs.smb.SmbFile.open0(SmbFile.java:815) at
> jcifs.smb.SmbFile.createNewFile(SmbFile.java:2240) Quite unsure as to how a
> restart is resolving the problem (this has happened twice now). Any help to
> resolve the issue will be appreciated. Thanks

Java Active Directory Integration