[jcifs] JCIFS 1.3.8 java.net.SocketException: Connection timed out:could be due to invalid address

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 19:06:35 MDT 2010

Hi Ivan,

Please respond only through the mailing list.

On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Ivan Petrov <lordjohnp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> I don't get your point. You may be didn't understand me well.
> By local user I ment user created on windows share. This way the
> thisng are running faster than when I use a domain user.

I understood that.

> In both cases I receive the connection time ot error message, with
> local user 1 or 2 error messages, with domain user usually atleast 7
> or more error messages, but it looks like that this is not true
> because in both cases I still receive the content of the folder I'm
> browsing.
> The uncomon responce thing - I didn't get this.

Because the server is AIX, you're seeing an unusual error condition.
In particular the CIFS command is timing out. I don't recall ever
seeing Windows exhibit that behavior.

But I could not even begin to speculate as to what the problem is
because I do not know what the server is or have a valid packet
capture. A wild guess is that the AIX side is just misconfigured.

> Capture is valid. I can opent it with WireShark. If you ment something
> else please explain.

The frames are truncated. That will happen if you run tcpdump without
-s 0 for example.

Mike