[jcifs] Static Class Problems

Brian Detweiler bdetweiler.work at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 11:57:05 MDT 2009

Hello,

I am writing to make you aware of a particular use case with static classes
being a problem.

First off, I realize you are busy and will likely not change this anytime
soon (if ever), but on the off-chance someone is bored, this would be a nice
thing to have working.

Here's the use case: We run a ColdFusion clustered environment on Linux RHEL
5. We have 16 servers, with a total of about 10 clusters on each. Each
cluster is a separate instance of a JVM, and it is shared by many people
developing ColdFusion apps.

We encountered the need to provide Samba access through ColdFusion, and
JCIFS was easy to integrate as a custom tag. CF is a tag-based language
fully integrated with Java, and you can write custom tags in Java that
basically work like Java classes in ColdFusion.

We noticed a problem though, when interacting with two different Samba
shares (requiring different credentials) in the same ColdFusion script.
After much frustration, and eventually digging through the JCIFS code, it
became apparent that the static config class essentially will not allow this
behavior. We are basically limited to one set of credentials per cluster,
which severely limits its usefulness.

Again, while I understand this may not be a priority, I did want to make you
aware of this use case.

Peace,
Brian Detweiler