[jcifs] Random "Internet Explorer Cannot display the Web page" on Windows 2008 server, IE 7 and Tomcat 6

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 17:04:21 MST 2009

Thanks André. Your summary of the situation is mostly accurate.
Although the JCIFS HTTP filter did actually validate the credentials
unlike many "fake" solutions posted in forums that just extract the
account name from one of the authentication tokens. The point being
that if you are unfortunate enough to still be using the HTTP filter,
at least you can rest easy knowing it is actually validating the
credentials against the domain.

I think it was good that you pointed out that JCIFS' primary purpose
has nothing to do with HTTP or servlet filters or even authenticating
clients. I always fail to mention that and I think many people have a
very different impression of what JCIFS actually is. It seems a
project is what it does and it so happed that the HTTP functionality
was much more popular than the CIFS functionality for a span of about
5 years or so. As a result I think "JCIFS" became synonymous with
"HTTP NTLM authentication" when in reality that was only a little
"hack" as you corrected put it.

The first line of text at the top of the JCIFS homepage reads:

  "JCIFS is an Open Source client library that implements the CIFS/SMB
networking protocol in 100% Java. CIFS is the standard file sharing
protocol on the Microsoft Windows platform ..."

The website has had that text there pretty much forever. But of course
no one reads this stuff and I'm not sure I fault them. Our website has
way too much text on it. Who in their right mind would bother to read
everything on the first page? It would take them an hour. One of these
days I will have to reduce it to a manageable amount of information
and organize it better so that people are directed properly.

OTOH, I thought the blue text at the top of the page about the HTTP
auth filter and the updated FAQ would be enough to let people know
what the story is. If there ever were a case for super annoying
blinking text in HTML, that might qualify.

But no, I think I'll just go on ignoring the HTTP filter questions.
There usually very easy to spot so it's not a big deal.

Thanks again,
Mike

Java Active Directory Integration