[jcifs] Random "Internet Explorer Cannot display the Web page" on Windows 2008 server, IE 7 and Tomcat 6

Michael B Allen ioplex at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 14:55:58 MST 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 4:06 PM, pardesh <pardesh_dsp at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Michael B Allen <ioplex <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Your response is totally false.
>>
>> All versions of Windows fully support both NTLMv1 and NTLMv2. Windows
>> 2008 and Windows 7 just use NTLMv2 by default.
>>
>> JCIFS fully supports both NTLMv1 and NTLMv2 as a client. As a server
>> it does not support NTLM or any other authentication protocol at all
>> (although there is hack that allows it to validate NTLMv1 hashes as a
>> server that is in the process of being removed from the JCIFS
>> package).
>>
>> Mike
>
> Mike,
>
> What might be the cause for this random error page? Is the transport socket
> being closed occasinally causing this issue?

Hi Pardesh,

Yes, that could very well be the problem. The transport could be
closing in the middle of the NTLM handshake. That is one of numerous
problems with the NTLM filter. But I don't really know. That code has
not changed or even been looked at in almost 10 years now.

If you *really* must know what's going on you would have to link to
the mailing list post cited in the blue text at the top of this page:

  http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html

and then further dig around in the mailing list archives to get the full story.

Note that any questions regarding the HTTP filter are usually totally
ignored because, as stated at the above link, all HTTP related code is
deprecated and will be removed. But people still ask about it anyway.
I'm not sure why. I guess they're just trying to maintain what they
have with as little effort as possible. So every few months or so I
respond to one just to reiterate that the HTTP code is still dead or
to correct misleading responses (of which there are plenty).

Java Active Directory Integration