[jcifs] Random "Internet Explorer Cannot display the Web page" onWindows 2008 server, IE 7 and Tomcat 6

Travaglini, Joseph Joseph.Travaglini at FMR.com
Mon Nov 2 10:02:03 MST 2009

With regard to the NTLM HTTP Filter, Windows 2008/7 clients will not
work.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael B Allen [mailto:ioplex at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 12:01 PM
To: Travaglini, Joseph
Cc: pardesh; jcifs at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: [jcifs] Random "Internet Explorer Cannot display the Web
page" onWindows 2008 server, IE 7 and Tomcat 6

Your response is totally false.

All versions of Windows fully support both NTLMv1 and NTLMv2. Windows
2008 and Windows 7 just use NTLMv2 by default.

JCIFS fully supports both NTLMv1 and NTLMv2 as a client. As a server
it does not support NTLM or any other authentication protocol at all
(although there is hack that allows it to validate NTLMv1 hashes as a
server that is in the process of being removed from the JCIFS
package).

Mike

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Travaglini, Joseph
<Joseph.Travaglini at fmr.com> wrote:
> Windows 2008 Server does not have an NTLMv1 implementation, whereas
> JCIFS does not have support for NTLMv2.
>
> That is, you cannot use JCIFS with Windows 2008/Windows 7.

traffic/requests
> as i
> was the only one accesing this server for testing.
>
> I can see the request is authenticated and redirected to the requested
> URL,
> where it is showing the error page. reload the page works.
>
> As this is random and occuring once for every 5 new authentcation
> requests.
>
> Our Earlier relaease is for windows xp, tomcat 5.5 and the same code
for

> authentication used to work fine.
>
> Does anyone has any idea why it is behaving this way? Your
> thoughts/inputs are
> highly appreciated as it is my biggest issue now for moving to
> prodcution.
>
> Thanks,
> Pardesh

Java Active Directory Integration